As the days become shorter and the mornings begin to turn a little crisper, there’s a magical feeling in the air that’s unique to autumn. I love this time of year as we bid farewell to the short sleeves of Summertime and break out the cozy sweaters and fluffy boots!
This season in particular always seems to create a perfect setting for a sense of comfort, warmth and a new outlook for the rest of the year.
Autumn is also one of the busiest times for festivities as we all begin to prepare for tasty treats, spooky costumes and crafty decorations.
Here are my top 5 must do’s before the season ends:
- Nature Walks To Relax The Mind: Autumn is fondly thought of as natures most colourful seasons, as the leaves change colour and the light begins to change. A perfect time to think about a leisurely walks in the parks, forests, or trails to immerse yourself in all that the season has to offer. Whether solo or as a family you cant help but feel a little more rejuvenated after a crisp walk. One of our favourite things to do is collect fallen leaves and foliage and make our very own nature pictures when we get home. Instead of buying ready made prints for the home, why not take advantage of the perfect light at this time of year and create your own by capturing the moment with a photograph to upload and make your own unique piece of wall art.
- Pumpkin Picking and Spooky Fun: For the past couple of years we have grown our own pumpkins in a little vegetable patch in the garden but we still continue our tradition of taking a little time out to pick a pumpkin at one of the growing patches near us. Later in the day we unleash our creativity by carving or decorating the pumpkins ready to get our spook on for Halloween. Whether you’re a master carver or just looking for a bit of fun, theres lots of little kits or template guides online to inspire you. Pumpkin decorating is a fantastic autumn tradition that the whole family can enjoy together and the best part is that the more it doesn’t go to plan the spookier it looks so no experience nessacery!
- Apple Spice And All Things Nice: With bonfire night just around the corner, why not make your own tasty toffee apples, take a look online and find a picking orchard near you then head out as a family to gather your main ingredient! If you have any left over why not think about rustling up a home made favourite like apple pie or apple crumble.With so many seasonal fruits and vegetables available at this time of year why not batch cook some of your favourites to enjoy throughout the rest of the year.
- Embrace The Coziness: Take full advantage as the nights begin to draw in and the weather turns a little colder by snuggling up for a family movie night. Get ready for halloween with a freaky favourite, we love the Goosebumps series or pick a golden oldie to snuggle up to, drink hot chocolate and snack out on your favourite treats together. This is one of our favourite things to do as a family, switch off the mobiles, put the kids tablets away and enjoy a digital detox while creating special memories together.
- Get Your Autumn Craft On: With so many opportunities throughout the season to get involved in festivities, why not get your craft on and make some seasonal decorations or home made creepy costumes. There are so many ideas online from complete craft kits to fingerprint tree canvas pictures or spooky witch and wizard costumes, We still have the very first black witch hat that we all made together for halloween when our daughter was just 3 years old, I love to make our own creations not only because they are completely unique but also to keep and remember lots of lovely memories as this kids grow older.
Autumn is such a fleeting season that brings a sense of wonder and transition for not only nature but in many cases ourselves too. Before the last leaf falls and winter takes over, try to take a little time out to immerse yourself in the joy of the season. From apple-picking to pumpkin carving, take the opportunity to create cherished memories.
Lets all make a promise to ourselves to seize the moment and make the most of Autumn before this enchanting season bids farewell!
If you would like to read my earlier blog on making the most of the new season by introducing a new self care and manifestation routine, you can take a look at it here.